Tangy cream cheese nestled between two thick slices of cinnamon french toast, that is then topped off with a freshly made blueberry sauce.
I am going to be honest here, sometimes we have breakfast for dinner more often than I would like to admit. Weeknights get busy, or the fridge gets a little empty, but we always seem to have eggs. Usually it ends up as some form of eggs with toast, or maybe even pancakes if I am feeling real adventurous. 🙂
This week I decided that breakfast for dinner wasn’t going to be a rushed meal, or a last minute bite when I forgot to thaw out the chicken. I can’t be the only one who does that right? We were having a planned thought out delicious breakfast for dinner night. Which is how this blueberry cream cheese stuffed French toast came to be.
In reality I love breakfast foods, they seem like a special treat to me! On the weekends I would gladly be more excited to go out for breakfast or brunch than out to dinner. Because, dinner is normal I get dinner foods everyday. My daily breakfasts include instant oatmeal, yogurts, or boiled eggs at best. And they are eaten at my desk at work, not exciting at all. So I love when I get to enjoy real hot breakfast foods!
If you also want a special breakfast for dinner, or if you want to have a yummy weekend morning breakfast you have to try this cream cheese stuffed blueberry French toast. It is creamy and sweet and the blueberry sauce tops it off perfectly. Pair with a few slices of bacon and some OJ for a perfect meal.
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs + 1 yolk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices of a thick cut white bread
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar'
- In a small sauce pan combine blueberries, sugar, and ¾ cup water. Mix the cornstarch into the remaining ¼ cup of water and then stir into the berry mixture. Then, add lemon zest and nutmeg.
- Cook the sauce over medium heat until it begins to boil and thickens, stirring frequently.
- In a 9x9 pan whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese and powdered sugar. Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly between four slices of bread. Sandwich the remaining slices of bread on top of the cream cheese.
- Soak each sandwich in the custard mixture on each side until well saturated. Let excess egg drip off before cooking in a well greased pan over medium heat. Cook on each side until the custard is set all the way through and they are golden brown.
- Top french toast with blueberry sauce and serve warm.