Guys, it was 80 freaking degrees today and I could not be more excited!
That might not seem like much, but after a record breaking rain filled winter and spring it is finally starting to feel like summer around here! Just in time for Memorial Day weekend, AKA the unofficial start of summer! I LOVE summer! I think there is something about growing up in Washington that makes you appreciate those rare sunny warm days so much more. Everyone is so much more cheerful when the skies are blue.
This is the second year in a row that Toby and I are going camping with our friends for Memorial Day weekend! OK, some might not consider it camping, but for this girl it’s as close as I am going to get. We rented cabins at a lake and our friends will be bringing their boats, so it is bound to be a great time in the outdoors. These trips with our friends create so many awesome memories while we float out on the water and then gather around the campfire at night to warm up. Speaking of campfires, no camping trip is complete without s’mores! Which brings me to today’s recipe for chewy chocolate s’mores cookies!
If you love s’mores and won’t be going camping this Memorial Day weekend, or even if you are, these cookies are for you! I packed all the chewy sticky goodness of a s’more into these cookies. They are a gooey chewy chocolate cookie that has plenty of melty marshmallows, chunks of graham cracker, and chocolate chips. I used freeze dried marshmallows in these cookies, like the kind that come in hot chocolate packets. It was a pleasant surprise that they melted into ribbons of marshmallow swirled into the cookies while they baked. I actually made up an extra batch of the dough to bake off before we leave for our trip. They will be the perfect car snack, and I am sure my friends won’t mind testing out my treats.
I’m sure you will be the hit of any BBQ or potluck if you bring along these cookies to share!
- ½ cup butter, at room temp
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, not dutch processed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup freeze dried mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 full graham cracker sheets, broken into small pieces
- In a large mixing bowl cream together butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in egg and vanilla and continue mixing until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, corn starch, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir together and then add to the wet ingredients. Starting on low speed mix together gradually increasing the speed until the dough is evenly mixed.
- Lastly, fold in the mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and graham crackers.
- Chill the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Flatten dough balls slightly and then bake at 325 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool slightly then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.