Rich chocolate cookies filled with everything you could ever want in a cookie are sure to cure even the biggest sweet tooth.
What could possibly make a thick, chewy, chocolatey cookie better? Well how about pretzels, oreos, almonds, toffee bits, peanut butter, and chocolate chips all topped off with a sprinkle of sea salt. Whew, that is quite the mouth-full! That’s right these cookies have everything that is in Trader Joe’s Cowboy Bark stuffed right into them!
If you have never had this delicious treat from Trader Joe’s, I highly recommend you go there immediately and get yourself a bag! It is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, and somehow works it’s way into my cart among the fruits, veggies, and other healthy things that I should stick to buying at Trader Joe’s! In fact I used to keep a bag of it in my desk at work for whenever a chocolate craving struck, so I thought I would make it even more of a guilty pleasure in cookie form.
These cookies are thick and chewy, just how I like my cookies. I know there are people out there on the thin crispy cookie bandwagon, but those just don’t do it for me, if I wanted a crunchy cookie I would buy Chips Ahoy. In a pinch they will do, but when I go looking for new cookie recipes, thick is my priority. These cookies stay super soft in the middle because they are baked straight out of the freezer, leaving the centers slightly underdone and bursting with gooey chocolate.
I started with this basic chocolate cookie dough for the base, and then added tons of toppings to replicate the flavors in the cowboy bark. The dough came together quickly, and because they are frozen it makes them very easy to make ahead and bake a couple whenever you want to indulge.
You are going to want a glass of milk with these cookies, just look at all that melted chocolate!
Do you have a favorite guilty pleasure treat that sneaks into your shopping cart?
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 and ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder ( my favorite is Saco premium, it is a mix of natural & dutched cocoas)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt ( plus extra for sprinkling on the cookies before baking)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ cup chopped pretzels
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup toffee bits
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup crushed oreos
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, shortening, and sugars together on a medium to high speed. Then, add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture in thirds and mix at a low speed to keep the mixer from throwing flour out of the bowl. The dough will be quite thick.
- Add peanut butter, pretzels, chocolate chips, toffee, almonds and oreos to the dough and mix just until combined. ( Can be mixed in by hand to avoid breaking up the pretzels too much)
- Roll into ¼ cup sized balls and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees on a parchment covered baking sheet for 15 minutes, or until the outside of the cookie is set, but the center remains soft. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing cookies from the baking sheet.
*recipe adapted from The Pinning Mama