Gooey rich dark chocolate brownies taken up a notch with a crunchy salty surprise pretzel crust.
Are you a center brownie person or do you like the crispy edges? Personally, I always go for the corners first. I like the contrast in texture from the crunchy edge parts and the moist chewy center.
We recently had a birthday at work, and like they do in most offices there was a store bought treat in the break room. I can normally pass up an overly sweet grocery store cupcake, or some brightly frosted sugar cookies, but this was different. This time it was brownies!
These weren’t just any run of the mill brownies either. They were salted caramel brownies with a pretzel crust! I had never thought about adding a crust to brownies, but it gave them the perfect bit of crunch.
I have become quite a fan of the intense flavor of dark chocolate recently, so in my version of pretzel crust brownies I decided to really let the chocolate be the star. But, feel free to swirl some caramel into the batter before baking if you would like a little extra sweetness. Also, it is important to use a good quality dark chocolate here since that is really what we are focusing on. I chose this Ghirardelli baking bar.
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1¼ cups flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 oz chocolate
- ¾ cup butter
- 4 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Combine crushed pretzels, melted butter, and sugar and press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 min and then set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine butter and chocolate. Microwave in 30 second increments stirring frequently until completely melted.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and butter, then add the eggs and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the brownie batter over the pretzel crust and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until completely set.