A new take on a weekend breakfast favorite! The smell of these salted caramel chocolate chip sticky buns baking will be the perfect start to any morning.
Who could resist hot fresh sticky buns! I love the gooey caramel that drips down the sides when you flip them out of the pan. I also love the crunchy pecans that they are usually topped with, but my boyfriend is not a fan of the nuts. So to keep myself from having to eat a whole pan of sticky buns myself, I decided to come up with a nut free alternative.
Adding chocolate chips made the perfect new spin on classic sticky buns. The chocolate chips are rolled into the center of the buns so you get a little chocolate in each bite. Only chocolate could make something already delicious even better!
These rolls bake up soft and gooey in the center with slightly crispy edges. I used instant yeast in this recipe so they didn’t take long to rise. But they can also easily be made the night before, and then put into the refrigerator before the second rise. Then the next morning all you have to do is take them out and let them rise before baking.
Finish these off with a sprinkle of sea salt and they are ready for your breakfast table!
- 1 packet instant rise yeast
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup instant mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a glass measuring cup add the butter and milk, then microwave for one minute to melt the butter and heat the milk. Pour into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment.
- Add the sugar and yeast to the warm milk, and mix to incorporate.Next, add the flour and salt and eggs, and turn the mixer on low until it forms a dough.
- In a separate bowl mix the instant potatoes and water, then add to the dough and mix on low until the potatoes are incorporated.
- Transfer the dough into a lightly greased bowl, and cover with saran wrap. Let dough rise until it has doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, melt 3 tablespoons butter and mix the brown sugar and sugar for the filling.
- To make the caramel topping; in a glass measuring cup, add 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup butter, corn syrup and sea salt. Microwave for 2 minutes, and then pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knead the dough and then roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a 24 inch long rectangle.
- Spread the melted butter over the dough, and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture and chocolate chips. Roll up the dough lengthwise, and then press the edges together to seal.
- Cut the long roll into twelve pieces, and place into the 9x13 pan. Let rise for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the buns are lightly golden brown. Flip them upside down onto a sheet pan, and serve warm.