This s’mores pavlova features light chocolate meringue layered with marshmallow whipped cream and topped off with a drizzle of chocolate ganache and crushed graham crackers.
I had a terrible realization today…the summer is coming to an end and I have not eaten a single s’more! A summer without s’mores is a serious trajedy! Even worse I probably won’t be getting one because we have had such a dry summer there are burn bans almost everywhere. We are going camping at the end of the month but unless anything changes I don’t see any campfires or mallow roasting in my future. I could make one over the BBQ, but I think part of why they taste so good is because of the cherished memories that are made sitting around a fire with friends.
This year I will just have to get by using the classic flavor combination in other desserts to get my s’more fix. If you love them as much as I do this show stopping s’more pavlova will definitely make you forget you were missing out on anything. If you have never had one, pavlova is a meringue dessert that originated in Australia. Often a summer treat, the light meringue is usually topped with whipped cream and fruit. My spin on pavlova combines it with an American summer classic, pairing chocolate layers of meringue with marshmallow whipped cream and crushed graham crackers. Even though this dessert looks somewhat challenging, it is actually quite simple and comes together with just a bowl and hand mixer.
- 8 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Trace an 8 inch circle on each piece of parchment, I traced a cake pan.
- In a large metal mixing bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Start beating the egg whites on a low speed gradually increasing the speed until the whites are foamy. With the mixer still running gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until they form shiny stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the cocoa powder and vanilla into the egg whites.
- Divide the meringue evenly between the two baking sheets and spread into the 8 inch circle. Turn oven down to 250 degrees and then bake the meringues for 2 hours. Do not open the oven during baking, and let the meringues cool in the oven for at least an hour to reduce cracking.
- Once the meringue is cool, whip together the whipping cream and marshmallow fluff.
- In a microwave safe container heat the cream and chocolate chips for the ganache together in 30 second increments until fully melted.
- Place the first meringue on a plate or pedestal. Top with half of the whip cream, ganache, and crushed graham cracker. Repeat adding the second layer of meringue.
If you are looking for other s’more flavored treats try these chewy chocolate s’more cookies from an earlier post.