Hearty lueberry muffins made with whole wheat flour and topped with a crunchy sprinkle of a cinnamon brown sugar crumble topping.
I am always eating breakfast on the run. It just seems like no matter how early I get up before work, I run out of time and totally skip eating before I am out the door. I keep oatmeal and greek yogurt at work for my morning meal, but sometimes I am way too hungry to wait until I there.
This is the part where these blueberry muffins come in handy! They are made with whole wheat flour which keeps me full during my morning commute, and they don’t have too much sugar in them . Plus they are packed full of antioxidant rich blueberries! I love a morning treat that doesn’t leave me feeling guilty for the rest of the day!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease or line a muffin tin with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Stir frozen blueberries into the dry ingredients to coat them in flour. This helps them to stay evenly distributed throughout the muffins when they bake.
- Add in the oil, milk, and eggs and stir until well incorporated. Fill muffin tins ¾ full with batter and then set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon for the topping. Cut in the butter with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the topping over each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffin tops spring back when touched.